Top 10 Expat Tax Tips for Individuals Moving to the UK

The UK tax rules for non-domiciled individuals were thrown into confusion by the proposed reforms to apply from 6 April 2017 not being included in the Finance Act 2017, however, the Government has now confirmed that the Finance Bill due to be published in September 2017 will include the proposed reforms and that they will appl

Read more

UK Self Assessment Tax Return Filing and Penalties 2017/18

The end of the UK tax year for 2017/18 was 5 April 2018 and taxpayers need to consider completing and filing their Tax Returns for this year.

Tax Returns usually need to be filed with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by 31 January following the end of the tax year if you file online (or by 31 October following the end of the tax year if you file a hard copy paper Tax Return).

Read more

New Offshore Bank Accounts for Expat Employees

Non-domiciled individuals that have come to work in the UK need to open offshore bank accounts outside the UK to take advantage of rules which exclude earnings from non-UK duties from being taxable in the UK.  This relief is known as Overseas Workday Relief – or OWR - and in broad terms applies for up to three years providing employment earnings are paid outside the UK – offshore – and not remitted/brought to the UK.

Read more