Posted by Tax Innovations on 27 Apr 2012
Employers 2011-12 PAYE Deadlines
The 2011-12 tax year ended on 5 April 2012 and employers are being reminded by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to submit their annual PAYE P35 payroll Returns on time, or be liable to penalties.
Annual P35 Payroll Return
The annual P35 payroll Return provides information on each employee’s tax and National Insurance deductions during the tax year and must be submitted to HMRC online by the 19 May to meet the year end deadline. Employers should also bear in mind that even if you have not made any payments to any employees during the year, if you have a PAYE scheme registered, you are required to notify HMRC that no Return is due to avoid a penalty being issued.
If as an employer your P35 Return is filed late, you will be charged a penalty of £100 per 50 employees for each month, or part month, that your Return is outstanding.
Employers who are not registered for online filing need to sign up as soon as possible to HMRC’s PAYE Online service. The registration process is quick, but you will not be able file online until you have activated the service using a code that HMRC sends you in the post. This can take a week to arrive so you should not delay registration.
Further imminent deadlines for employers to observe are as follows:
- Forms P46 (Car) for the quarter to 5 April 2012 must be filed by 3 May 1012. These are employer notifications to HMRC advising when employees receive/change their employer provided/company cars.
- 31 May 2012 is the date your employees who had tax deducted and were employed at year end should receive their end of year forms P60 showing total pay and tax for the 2011-12 year.
- Forms P11D detailing employees’ non-cash benefits in kind and expenses not covered by HMRC dispensations should be filed by 6 July 2012.
- 2011-12 PAYE Settlement Agreements (PSAs) must be signed and in place with HMRC by 6 July 2012, and payments of tax/Class 1 B National Insurance should be made by 22 October if payment is electronic (and by 19 October if you are paying by cheque).
Contact Tax Innovations about your PAYE Deadlines
Tax Innovations are available to help run payrolls, file year end Employer Returns, prepare forms P11D and negotiate PSAs with HM Revenue & Customs. Please contact us if you require help in any of these areas.
- Property Partnership Incorporation and SDLT
- Overseas Pension Changes 6 April 2017
- Overseas Workday Relief (OWR) – Relief for non-UK business travel
- Top 10 tax tips for expats moving to the UK
- Tax on PPI payments